Friday, March 30, 2012

Alex: reflection for the week

    I chose this interim because I enjoy learning about science. I spent the last 4 days visiting various science museums throughout the bay area. It was a very valuable experience for me and I was able to see a lot of interesting things. Most of the museums were on natural science except for the Exploratorium. Every day I was able to see something new and learn something I didn't know before.
    On the first day of this week I went to the Academy of Science. There were a bunch of interesting exhibits to see. One of the things that stood out to me was the jellyfish exhibit. I loved seeing the way that these sea creatures were able to gracefully navigate their environment. I don't usually pay attention to nature that much so it was especially nice to be able to see these beautiful creatures. I also liked seeing the giant pendulum that proved the earth was spinning. The food at the academy was very good. I had spaghetti and it was delicious.
    My second day was spent at the Exploratorium. It was my favorite day because the exhibits there are very hands-on so you get to experience the scientific principles personally. This really helped me learn about what was being presented. One of the most interesting exhibits at the Exploratorium was one where we would put a straw on a metal bar and bite it and hear music. It impressed me that you could experience sounds and music through vibrations in your teeth. Also, the giant bubble maker was very fun to play with.
    I went to the Aquarium of the Bay on the third day. There were lots of animals that I was able to see. I especially liked the underwater tunnel of transparent glass that we got to go under. You could see fish and marine life at almost every angle. It was really cool seeing schools of fish travel together and all turn at exactly the same time. It was really impressive to see so many fish perfectly synchronized in their movements.
    My final day was spent at the zoo. I got to see a huge amount of animals that I would otherwise not of been able to see. I don't go to the zoo very often so it was a nice experience for me. I especially liked observing the penguin swim. They looked really graceful underwater so it was very relaxing to watch them.
    Overall this week was a very enjoyable and enlightening experience for me. I loved seeing the explanations of various scientific demonstrations in the Exploratorium. I also loved to see all the animals in the Aquarium of the Bay, the Academy of Science, and in the zoo. It was nice seeing all the butterflies fly close the people in the Academy of Science.

No comments:

Post a Comment