Friday, March 30, 2012

Ysabel: Reflections

Day 1: Academy of Sciences
My favorite memory here was the rainforest dome. Even though it was really humid, all the different varieties of animals made up for it. The designers got every imaginable detail right when creating the atmosphere: the types of trees, the temperature, and the animals made it feel like I was actually in the rainforest. The thing that amazed me most was a butterfly that looked like moth on the outside of its wings, but when they began to fly, it was so different. The outside of the wings had a beautiful pattern of many different shades of vibrant blues. I probably took a million pictures just of that one species of butterflies.
Day 2: Exploratorium
               This week was the first time I had ever visited the Exploratorium and it was amazing. Everything there is a hands-on activity, so you’re having fun while you’re learning. I really enjoyed the monochrome room. I couldn’t tell which colors were which until I shined a light on it. Also, we got to go inside one of columns of the Palace of Fine Arts.  The sound caused by hitting different keys on the xylophone were really loud, but it doesn’t affect our hearing in any way.  I thought it was amazing how if you stand at a certain level for each key, the sound waves cancel out at that certain point and you aren’t able to hear it that easily.
Day 3: Aquarium of the Bay
                
On Wednesday, we went to Pier 39 and the Aquarium of the Bay.  I haven’t been there since I was really small and I forgot how cool the underwater tunnels were. As soon as you step in the tunnels, you are surrounded by all different kinds of ocean life. I wish that I was able to the giant octopus, but it was squeezed in between two rocks. All I was able to see where a few tentacles sticking out. I also got to pet a bat ray. I was surprised about how slimy they are compared to the rough skin of a tigershark. After the aquarium, my friends and I ate clam chowder in bread bowls. It was the absolute perfect way to end the day.
Day 4: San Francisco Zoo
                
I spent most of my time at the petting zoo where there were goats and sheep. After leaving, I realized how much I want a pet goat now.  They are so adorable and would follow me everywhere. They would even nudge my arm to try to get me to pet them. The sheep weren’t nearly as friendly, though.  Whenever Ellis would go near a sheep, they would run away from him. The sheep had really gross fur; it seemed like hair that has never been washed before. It was really greasy and pretty disgusting. When I saw a meerkat, I couldn’t help but start thinking about “The Lion King” and the meerkat Timon.

No comments:

Post a Comment