Friday, March 30, 2012

Katarina: Reflections



Katarina Pepe
3/30/12
Interim Science Museums



The first day of our interim journey started off at the San Francisco Academy of Sciences. There I saw the Foucault Pendulum, sea horses, and the rain forest dome. In addition, I was able to dine at the finest restaurant where I was served a delicious sandwich with a side dish of salad. Also, we took a short trip up to the roof where I saw different types of birds and I turned a crane and heard bird sounds.
On the second day of Interim Week we visited the Exploratorium. Here, I had the opportunity to learn about science concepts by actually performing hands-on experiments. This greatly enhanced my understanding since I wasn’t just reading and learning about science phenomena from a textbook, but rather learning by participating in the activity myself. For instance, I could touch a tornado and see what it feels like. Also, in the Hysteresis Motor experiment, I discovered that magnetic forces spin the wheel of this motor at a precise speed. Another interesting experiment was called the High Voltage Electric Flame where I got to experience electricity jumping through the air. In the Catch a Falling Spark experiment, I was able to catch glowing sparks in my hands without getting burned. The Anti-Gravity Mirror was fascinating because you stand on a step, move your right leg, and it simulates that you are flying. With the Satellite Orbit Simulator, I learned how planets orbit around Earth. In the Strange Attractor experiment, magnets in the pendulum and disks transfer energy back and forth, making the pendulum swing in unpredictable ways. These are only some of the amazing hands–on activities awaiting visitors to the Exploratorium in San Francisco.
Third, we visited the Aquarium of the Bay where I saw a chinchilla and was able to go inside a dome with starfish and sharks. This was an interesting experience since I was actually able to see these creatures up close. Later in the day, I was able to walk around Pier 39 with my friend and go shopping at gift shops. Also, I ate lunch on a bench overlooking the ocean and saw sea lions at the same time.
Lastly, on Thursday I went to The San Francisco Zoo. Here I was able to see meerkats, a zebra , rabbits , giraffes , an owl, and penguins and learn about them. For instance, I learned that the penguins at the zoo live an average life span of about 30 to 40 years.  I also discovered that each of the penguins are assigned a number so that they can be easily distinguished. Overall, this week was a rewarding and educational experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment