Friday, March 30, 2012

Erin: weeklong reflection

            The museums that we visited as an interim group this week are all places that I have been to during my childhood; however, there was something different about the trips this time.  These four adventures were accompanied with a new sense of freedom.  It isn’t surprising that boredom seemed inevitable through the eyes of teenagers, but what is surprising is the fact that we did have fun this week.  There were experiences at each location that made this year’s interim worthwhile.   
            We started the week off at the Academy of Science.  I hadn’t seen the museum since the original building was destroyed by an unfortunate fire, so I was excited to see the remodeled version.  The rainforest was everything that people said it would be.  A spiraling walkway into an entirely new environment.  A piece of paradise in the middle of San Francisco.  The humidity was warming on that cool Bay Area day. 
            Although the new additions to the Academy of Science were interesting, I was glad to see some of the old pieces of the museum included in the new design.  The seahorse railing reminded me of the walkway to the interactive tide pool that I used to run down during my childhood visits to the museum.  And the tide pool itself still existed, which was a relief to see and feel.  And of course, the pendulum still swayed in the lobby.  Overall the Academy of Science offered extraordinary new attractions, and comforting old ones. 
            The next day was much gloomier than Monday but exciting nonetheless.  We started the day early on our way to the Exploratorium.  After leaving the bus we were greeted by the towering Palace of Fine Arts.  Then we entered the museum.  It was much more interactive than the Academy of Science, and there was something there for everyone to enjoy.  Personally I enjoyed the bubble station, and some of the miscellaneous attractions.  It was enjoyable to walk around where we wanted, and to see the attractions that we liked best.
            Wednesday was the day that took the most types of transportation.  We took one bus, one train and one street car, all to end up at Pier 39.  Once there, the Aquarium of the Bay awaited us.  It was relaxing to walk through the aquarium.  The tunnels were chilly, yet inviting.  Watching the fish swim above our heads was a unique experience.  And ending the tour through the interactive tide pool section was fun.  The day was simple and the transportation alone was a new adventure.
            The last place that we visited this week was somewhere that I have been many times in my life-the San Francisco Zoo.  Despite my familiarity with the location there was something different about this visit.  I usually visit the zoo with the toddlers in my family, small cousins, distant relatives, etc.  This time was a day for me to see the animals or exhibits that I wanted to most.  I took my time strolling through the wildcat area, watching the tigers as they paced.  I didn’t spend as much time in the primate section that I would have had to if I had visited with family.  And, I enjoyed the sun on the one nice day (weather-wise) of the week.  It was a fun, and simple way to end the week. 
            Each museum that we visited this week offered something new and different to be experienced.  Some more interactive than others.  Some more relaxing than the last.  Each with its own singularity and uniqueness.  It was an enjoyable week full of learning and free of stress. And luckily, the two late-start days were an extra treat included in my last interim week of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment